Monday, October 1, 2007

The World Has Turn and Left Me Here

I was just looking at the news from the States on the puter when I decided I should write a quick note on here. Since we´ve been here, it seems like very little news gets through, or when it does, it´s 3 weeks after the fact. Even the news I read now, online and live, seemed somewhat insignificant. We´re away from the war in Iraq and Afganistan here. A few people in my group have been trying to keep up with the elections, but I personally can´t stand turning on the tv and seeing that one canidate made a comment that pissed a lot of people off and that it may or may not have been taken out of context. I´ve only been here what, a month and a half, and I can already see how tough a person´s will has to be in order to make it in the Peace Corps.

I have to hand it to the volunteers who we´ve visited, who have been in country, and to all of the Volunteers who serve and have served all over the world. The host communities we´ve been at have shared with us some amazing stories as to how the Peace Corps has brought new opportunities and people into their lives.

I´m still in training. At the end of October we will be sworn in as official Peace Corps Volunteers (PVCs). Next week we travel with a person from our communities to the sites we wil be living in for 2 years. This will be the first time I will have to be on my own with people who don´t speak English for a whole week. I´m a little scared, but excited. I want to hear what they have to say about my aspirations to learn their native language, carve a boat from a tree, learn some of the crafts they do like basket making and wood carving, and how they feel about me wanting to build my own house, with their help of course. I´m excited to try and work on integration into the community and make some new friends while I get to know everyone and their culture.

I truely believe this will be the ´toughest job I´ll ever love´. We´ve lost a few people during training already, and I can see why. Some had obligations at home and for some it just wasn´t for them. I wish them all luck in their lives. I´ve already had a taste of the dificulties faced (being sick ALOT) and the triumphs accomplished. I wish everyone could know what its like to be a Peace Corps Volunteer.

4 comments:

Dan & Pat Tingle said...

Jacob
Your dad (real one) sent us your blog site and it was great to read your journey to your host site. Did you get your house started? Do they give you a spot of land and let you build? Running water? probably get enough rain to stand outside and take showers?? Let us know if we can do anything for you.
Love ya Dan & Pat Tingle

Unknown said...

Jake,
Love the blogging. Got the site bookmarked at work now. Comment on your last sentence on "wishing everyone could know what it feels like to be in the peace corps", your blog allows us to do that. To a minuscule degree of what it actually feels like, but it's better than nothing. I'd gladly live my life vicariously through you. It'd be way better than living through Matt Lange. =-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Jake,
We are excited for you to have this great opportunity to experience first hand how most of the world lives, and be a part of making their life better. The fulfillment of that desire will surely bring you the greatest happiness in this life.
If we can help by sending quilts, toys, whatever, for Christmas, please let us know....
Love, Gerry & Sherrie
P.S. Carl is also preparing to leave to serve in Argentina.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thought I'd say hi. See if your still alive down there. Yeah probably should have warned you about the water. In Costa Rica it was pretty bad for some rivers. Dono and I were reminiscing over the summer and how you used to draw certain things on my board for my project. Good times Good times.
Hope all is well
cya in 2 years (hopefully)
Chuck