Sunday, September 9, 2007

Volunteer Visit Part Two: Actual Visit

So here is what happened after the whole traveling incident at Hato Chami. We hiked into the volunteer's site which was about an hour hike down the mountain. We finally reached his village and even though I had looked up tons of blogs and stuff on Peace Corps Panama, I still did not realize people were living like that. Everyone was very friendly and stopped by his house to see the new gringo that came to town. Speaking of his house, I heard rumors that it was awesome, but it was awesome. He had built it himself and he says it took 5 months. Here is a pic:

Heres a pic of his porch with saweet hammock:

Sorry it's on its side. Here's a view from the hammock:

We hung out there for a couple of days and just talked about what its like to live there and how the Ngobe people are. He lives in an indigenous site in the middle of the Camarca. One day two guys came rolling by carrying something so we asked them to come show us.

They were both two huge eckis. I don't know how to spell it, but we've been warned they are some of the most dangerous snakes here and that they are aggressive, meaning they might actually chase you. Anyways, we took the same trail they came off of the next day. That hike was crazy. It was up and down the mountains, I do not have any pics from the hike because everytime we stopped, I had to catch my breath. We needed to try and catch the next Chiva or we might have had to wait for hours to see another. I was in awe of the stamina the other two volunteers with me showed on the hike. The one I went to see was pointing out the place they had gotten the wood and grass for his hut about 3/4 of the way through. I couldn't believe they took the same route we did carrying so much weight. I thought I almost died and toward the end the one I went to visit took off RUNNING saying he thought he heard the chiva and just keep on that trail. I couldn 't believe it. We eventually made it to the end of the trail and waited for about a half hour for the next chiva. This pic is from on the chiva but it shows the mountains and how little access they actually have: Here is me and one of Rob on the Chiva: We finished the weekend by meeting other volunteers and thier aspirantes at the beach. Here are a couple pics from the party that night, you can tell we don't get to do this much, but it was awesome.
I'll leave you with some of the beautiful pictures I took there:








1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds and looks like a good time. Team Alion sends their regards. Keep it easy.