Saturday, December 1, 2007

Quick update from site

I´ve been trying to square away some arrangements for my work within the community. In the mean time, I have been starting some classes in English to some eager students of all ages. Also, I am eating at every house for a day. The results have mixed. Part of the reason is because I hate to take food from the community I am trying to help, but they are so generous. They are excited when I come over to eat and can have short conversations in Emberá with them. I have gotten some amazing food shared with me in the process. I ate Iguana a few days ago. It wasn´t at the house I was supposed to eat at for the day, but the community decided it was something I had to try. It was very delicious. The community had two of them.
The next day I had the opportunity to eat fresh water turtle, chibigi in Emberá. It was also delicious had it not been for the eggs that were in it when they cleaned it being cooked and served with the meat. They were ok.

Here is a pic of the trail between the community I live and Deborah lives. It is beautiful. I was on my way over for an inaguaration of a project from the former volunteers at her site. The Ambassador to the United States was there along with the Country Director for Peace Corps Panamá and Director of USAID. It was fun. Here is the view from the hammock at Deborah´s house.

Afterwards, we tried to spear fish, but the water was a little cloudy. The community assured us that it will be more clear in 3 days if it doesn´t rain. Then they said you can see all kinds of fish. It should stay that way for most of December, so I look forward to diving for fish a lot.

The english classes I´ve been having for my community have been a self-esteem booster. They are very excited about them, although about half of them end up doing something else. The select few who are serious about learning english are picking up a lot and it encourages more to come to at least see what the Emberá Toro (white person, my nickname) has to say. I, however, have learned far more from these classes than they have. When they ask questions, they ask in Emberá and someone translates to spanish for me, then the response is discussed in Emberá after I say it in spanish. Learning their language is going to be far more important than I had ever imagined. I am well on my way though. Nu´ Diapida.

1 comment:

Wakan Sadhana said...

Hello there! My name is Wakan and I was a volunteer with group 55 in the Comarca Ngobe-Bugle. I am moving back to Panama and will be running a new hostel in Casco Viejo starting in January. I am trying to make connections with PCV's who are currently living in Embera and Kuna sites to buy artesanry work from any community cooperatives, and to connect with a village where we might be able to send people for trips. Is this somethign you or someone you know may be interested in? Please let me know at wakan_5@hotmail.com. Also please feel free to drop by our hostel at anytime! Luna's Castle in Casco Viejo...opening in January 2008. Thanks! ~wakan